Local utilities announce Ohio River cleanup event
Volunteers will team up for up for annual effort to clear riverbank of trash
What: Ohio River Sweep Press Conference
When: Thursday, June 14, 10 a.m.
Where: Carrie Gaulbert Cox Park, 3730 River Road
Who: MSD, Louisville Water Company and Louisville Gas and Electric Company
Local organizers of the Ohio River Valley Water Sanitation Commission (ORSANCO) Ohio River Sweep event will gather at Cox Park to provide details on this year’s cleanup effort in Jefferson County, scheduled for Saturday, June 16, from 9 AM to Noon. The annual six-state initiative stretches the entire length of the Ohio River from Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania to Cairo, Illinois.
Each year during River Sweep, volunteers collect approximately 40 tons of trash from the shoreline in Jefferson County. An MSD employee will coordinate each site, supplying volunteers with gloves, trash bags and a commemorative T-shirt.
There are a total of seven cleanup sites along the Ohio River in Jefferson County:
(Locations listed from upstream to downstream)
- Hays Kennedy Park – 7003 Beachland Beach Road
- Juniper Beach Area – 5230 Upper River Road (Harrods Creek Fire Station)
- Carrie Gaulbert Cox Park – 3730 River Road
- Eva Bandman Park – 1701 River Road
- Karen Lynch Park/Beargrass Flood Pumping Station – 1731 Brownsboro Road
- Shawnee Park – W Market Street (between Northwestern Parkway and Fontaine Landing Court)
- Riverview Park – 8202 Greenwood Road (Greenwood Road and Cane Run Road)
ORSANCO sponsors the event regionally, while MSD, Louisville Gas and Electric Company and Louisville Water provide support at the local level—coordinating volunteer efforts at cleanup locations in Jefferson County.
For more information about the Louisville cleanup sites, visit LouisvilleMSD.org/OhioRiverSweep
River Sweep will also take place at other waterways throughout Kentucky and Indiana. Visit www.OhioRiverSweep.org for information about other locations.